- He owns and runs five restaurants: Mesa Grill and Bar Americain, in New York, Mesa Grill Las Vegas (Caesars Palace), Mesa Grill Bahamas (Cove Atlantis, Paradise Island) and Bobby Flay Steak in Atlantic City, N.J.
- He also hosts and guests on numerous Food Network television programs, and has written many cookbooksa
- His cooking style embraces Spanish, Mexican and Southwest influences.
- He started his culinary career at 17 in a New York restaurant and was sent to the French Culinary Institute by the owner, Joe Allen.
- He worked as executive chef of the city’s Miracle Grill from 1988-90, and then opened Mesa Grill in 1991.
- His grandfather, Willie Flay, provided him with his first experience at the racetrack, taking him to Belmont Park on a rainy summer day.
- Flay has been named by Gov. Andrew Cuomo to the board of directors of the state-controlled New York Racing Association.
- He began ownership as a partner with people already established in the business. His first successful partnership, with John Phillips and Richard Santulli, campaigned Wonder Again, a multiple Grade 1 stakes-winning female turf star… He visited the Breeders’ Cup winner’s circle in 2010 with Juvenile Filly Turf heroine More Than Real
- He also owned Her Smile, who captured the Prioress (G1) at Belmont in 2011.