Robert V. LaPenta
- He is an alumnus and a member of Iona’s Board of Trustees.
- LaPenta donated $7 million toward the construction of the college’s LaPenta Student Union Building. LaPenta’s silks are maroon and gold, in honor of his alma mater.
- He is the chairman of the board, president and CEO of L-1 Identity Solutions, a provider of solutions and services that protect personal identities and assets. L-1 Identity Solutions is based in Stamford, Conn. LaPenta is the co-founder and former president and CFO of L-3 Communications Corporation, a provider of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance systems. LaPenta had previously worked as a vice president of Lockheed Martin Corp.
- He became only the second owner in Gulfstream history to celebrate consecutive victories in the Florida Derby. LaPenta won the $1 million event with Dialed In in 2011 and Ice Box in 2010. He was introduced to racing by his mother as a youth.
- He first became an owner in 1998 as a partner with University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino.
- He started his own stable in 2001, purchasing eight yearlings for $895,000 in the name of Whitehorse Stable.
- LaPenta campaigned 2007 juvenile champion War Pass, who captured the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile.
- He has had many stakes winners, mainly trained by Nick Zito, including, 2008 Belmont Stakes winner Da’ Tara, Jackson Bend, The Cliff’s Edge, Pies Prospect and Andromeda’s Hero.