- Originally from Cairo, he now has residences in New Jersey, New York, Egypt and London. • He won a bid to privatize Egypt’s national brewery in the mid 1980s and sold it to Heineken for $280 million.
- He earned an MBA and MPH from Boston University and Harvard University.
- He competed in national show jumping events in his native Egypt in his early teens.
- He began buying big-ticket horses at sales in 2004.
- Zayat enjoyed success with Bodemeister and Paynter in 2012. Bodemeister won the Arkansas Derby (G1) and finished second in both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. Paynter captured the Haskell (G1) after finishing second in the Belmont Stakes.
- Zayat has also campaigned Pioneerof the Nile, the 2009 Santa Anita Derby winner who finished second in the Kentucky Derby that year.
- Nehro finished second for Zayat in the 2011 Derby.
- Zayat had the favorite for the 2010 Kentucky Derby in Eskendereya, who won the Fountain of Youth (G2) at Gulfstream and won the Wood Memorial (G1) only to be scratched a few days before the Run for the Roses.