- Racing Information
- Buy Tickets
- Wager Now
Gulfstream Stars Among Favorites for Derby 138
When post positions were drawn Wednesday for the 138th Kentucky Derby, the list of favorites for the Run for the Roses at Churchill Downs looked very much like a stable list for Gulfstream Park or Palm Meadows.
Fountain of Youth (G2) winner Union Rags, Blue Grass and Palm Beach runner-up Dullahan, Holy Bull (G3) runner-up Hansen, undefeated Palm Meadows resident Gemologist, and Florida Derby winner Take Charge Indy were all among the top choices for Saturday’s 1 ¼ mile event.
Churchill Downs odds maker Mike Battaglia made Arkansas Derby (G1) winner Bodemeister the 4-1 favorite after he drew the No. 6 post. The Bob Baffert-trained colt will be attempting history, trying to become the first horse sine 1882 to win the Derby without racing as a 2-year-old.
Behind Bodemeister in the morning line was a who’s who of Gulfstream’s 3-year-old stars from the recently completed meet. They included:
• Union Rags, the beaten Florida Derby favorite, at 9-2 from the No. 4 post.
• Undefeated Wood Memorial (G1) winner Gemologist at 6-1. The colt, who drew post 15, kicked off his 3-year-old season with a victory at Gulfstream March 16.
• Dullahan, who trained the winter at Gulfstream, is listed at 8-1 after drawing post 5.
• Hansen, who wintered at Gulfstream after his champion juvenile season, at 10-1 from post 14.
• Florida Derby winner Take Charge Indy, who drew post 3, at 15-1
• Palm Meadows resident and Wood runner-up Alpha at 15-1 after drawing post 11.
• Trinniberg, winner of Gulfstream’s Swale (G2), is 50-1 and will break from post. 9.
Other horses entered in Saturday’s Derby who spent their winter at Gulfstream or Palm Meadows include Went the Day Well (20-1), Tampa Bay Derby (G3) winner Prospective (30-1) and Risen Star (G2) winner El Padrino (20-1).
Five of the last six Kentucky Derby winners have wintered at Palm Meadows.
The full list of horses with post positions and odds
1: Daddy Long Legs 30-1
2: Optimizer 50-1
3: Take Charge Indy 15-1
4: Union Rags 9-2
5: Dullahan 8-1
6: Bodemeister 4-1
7: Rousing Sermon 50-1
8: Creative Cause 12-1
9: Trinniberg 50-1
10: Daddy Nose Best 15-1
11: Alpha 15-1
12: Prospective 30-1
13: Went the Day Well 20-1
14: Hansen 10-1
15: Gemologist 6-1
16: El Padrino 20-1
17: Done Talking 50-1
18: Sabercat: 30-1
19: I’ll Have Another 12-1
20: Liaison 50-1
The most comfortable and luxurious place to watch and wager on Saturday’s Derby is Gulfstream Park, host of a free Derby party with drink specials and official Kentucky Derby merchandise.