Gulfstream Today

Gulfstream Today

02/13/2014

HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – There was no unique winning ticket of the 20-cent Rainbow 6 wager for the 24thconsecutive racing day Thursday, pushing the carryover to $698,864.21 heading into Friday’s 10-race card. Post time is 12:40 p.m.

The popular multi-race wager requires a bettor to hold the only ticket with all six winners in order to hit the jackpot, which has been building since a single bettor cashed for $30,670.26 on Jan. 10.

No bettors correctly selected the winners of the last six races on Thursday’s card, but a ticket with five of six winners was worth $652.64.

The Rainbow 6 has undergone two key changes for the current meeting. In addition to the base wager being raised from 10 cents to 20 cents, a greater portion of the daily handle for the Rainbow 6 has been returned to winning tickets on days when the jackpot goes unsolved, resulting in a carryover.

If no one holds a unique ticket with all six winners, 70 percent of that day’s pool goes back to those bettors with the most winners, with the remaining 30 percent going into the carryover pool.

Previously, the split was 60-40 percent.

Apprentice Jockey, Horse Team Up For Second Win of Meet Apprentice jockey Carson Sullivan picked up his second win of the Champions Meet when Shalala surged in the final sixteenth of a mile to edge Vianney Lane in Thursday’s opener.

It was the only mount of the day and 23rdof the meet, for Sullivan, who rides with a 10-pound weight allowance. His other victory of the meet came on Jan. 9, also aboard Shalala over a similarly sloppy, sealed main track.           

“We get along really well,” Sullivan said. “We’ve been lucky with the surface. She runs really well on the surface, and both times I had it. She calms down for me. I can get her to relax and sit where she needs to be and then when it’s time to move, she digs in for me.”

A 4-year-old daughter of Grade 1 winner Birdstone, Shalala is trained by Hall of Famer Nick Zito, who has five wins at the meet.

“When I’m going around hustling mounts as a bug boy, I tell people that Mr. Zito is giving me opportunities,” Sullivan said. “It means a lot when people hear names like that. I’m just really blessed with the opportunities that he gives me, and I’m very thankful that I can come through for him.”

Sullivan has four wins in a young career that began last year. This is his first winter riding at Gulfstream.

“To get two wins for someone like Nick, I think things have gone pretty well,” Sullivan said. “I think they’ve gone pretty well considering I’m a 10-pound apprentice and most of the best riders in the country are here. Just go get out here in the afternoon and get your name on the card is really a home run in a lot of ways.”

Who’s Hot: Zito swept the early double, following Shalala’s win by taking the second race with Stephen A ($5.80) in the second. Both horses are owned by Hurricane Boys Racing Stable. Ten different jockeys won the day’s races. Rainbow 6 Carryover: $698,864.21