Gulfstream Today

Gulfstream Today

02/15/2014

HALLANDALE BEACH, FL– The 20-cent Rainbow 6 and the 50-cent Pick 5 created a carryover frenzy at Gulfstream Park Saturday.            

The Rainbow 6 offered bettors a $760,872.18 carryover in the sixth race, generating a $425,286 handle on the popular exotic wager that has produced life-changing payoffs the past four meetings. A carryover of $113,302.59 produced a handle of $1.4 million on the Pick 5 in the seventh race.           

The Rainbow 6 went unsolved, resulting in a carryover of $862,886.90 heading into Sunday’s 11-race program.           

There were two tickets that could have taken down a Rainbow 6 jackpot of $1.1 million had either the No. 7 Concierto Imperial or No. 9 Baby Gracie won the 11thrace, the last race on Saturday card and the final race in the six-race sequence. Both horses finished out of the money, as favored Charade completed the winning combination of 9-2-6-5-6-11, which produced a payoff of $7,213.16 payoff to the multiple ticket holders.           

The Rainbow 6, which requires a bettor to hold the only ticket with all six races to collect the jackpot, went unsolved for the 26thconsecutive racing day Saturday. The jackpot has not been paid out since a single bettor cashed for $30,670.26 on Jan. 10.           

The Rainbow 6 has undergone two key changes for the current meeting. In addition to the base wager being raised from 10 cents to 20 cents, a greater portion of the daily handle for the Rainbow 6 has been returned to winning tickets on days when the jackpot goes unsolved, resulting in a carryover. If no one holds a unique ticket with all six winners, 70 percent of that day’s pool goes back to those bettors with the most winners, with the remaining 30 percent going into the carryover pool. Previously, the split was 60-40 percent.           

There were multiple winners of the 50-cent Pick 5, which covers the final five races on the card. The winning combination of 2-6-5-6-11 produced a payoff of $3,576.85.           

WHO’S HOT: Jockey Julien Leparoux rode a pair of winners: Dance Champion ($6.60) in the sixth race and Gold Former ($19.60) in the ninth race. Leading rider Javier Castellano made two trips to the winner’s circle with Lucky for You ($5.40) in the fifth and Charade ($4.40) in the 11th.           

Rainbow 6 Carryover: $862,886.90